Chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, red throat, European greenfinch, European goldfinch, Eurasian wren, great woodpecker, oak jay, Eurasian nuthatch, alder siskin, blackcap, swallows and many more birds of the sky render us invaluable services in our gardens.
A true barometer of pollution, they contribute to the balance of the ecosystem by regulating the number of insects and by disseminating seeds and berries. Sedentary, winter or summer, these little hands brighten up our plots with their colors, their songs and their incessant flights.
Here is how to attract them and take the greatest care of them so that they continue to regenerate nature.
Read also :
- These five shrubs that welcome birds
- Feeding birds in winter
- Recognize the main birds in the garden to better welcome them
The garden that attracts birds
Some birds feed and nest high up, while others feed on the ground and nest in shrubs. To meet everyone's needs, you have to think diversity.
- Your garden should be made up of different levels of vegetation that will provide shelter, nesting place and food for the birds. Trees of different sizes, hedges, berry shrubs, fruit trees and colorful flowers represent the ideal panel.
- Do not use pesticides, as pests attract predators. This is how the tit will eat caterpillar and aphid, and the swallow will eat mosquitoes, etc.
- Leave piles of leaves, a few uncultivated places and dead branches where insects will swarm.
- Plant flowering grass. It attracts the insects that insectivorous birds feed on. The seeds will delight grain-eating birds.
Interesting plants to attract birds
- Thyme (attracts bees and beetles).
- Lavender (attracts bees and butterflies).
- Honeysuckle (for its berries and insects).
- The rowan tree (popular with thrushes and blackbirds).
- Pyracantha (red berries for birds, nectar for insects).
- Barberry (shelter for caterpillars, attracts butterflies).
- The black elderberry (for its berries).
- Hazelnut (rich in insects).
- Raspberry (food)
- Birch (popular with birds for its seeds and the insects it attracts).
- The oak (provides nesting places).
- Conifer (winter shelter, food)
- Carnation (for seeds).
- Purslane (for seeds).
The birds sing all day long, but it is at daybreak that they put the most heart to work, enjoying the silence that carries sounds far and wide.
- Only the male sings (except in exceptional cases). He shows that he is vigorous and able to defend his territory.
- During the mating season, from late February to late April, the male sings to attract a female. Her sex glands are growing, hormones secreted in her brain influence her song.
- Females are sensitive to this song. In some species, hormonal stimulation has been observed.
- Once in a relationship, Monsieur is less talkative.
Feed and provide shelter to birds
To supplement the diet of birds that are more difficult to find in winter or in some urban areas, you can easily feed the birds. If you start feeding you will need to do it all year round so as not to disrupt the birds' habits.
- Place seed distributors in which you can put:
- A mix for birds of the sky.
- Unsalted shelled peanuts.
- Black sunflower seeds.
- Seeds from Niger.
- Offer fat balls only in winter (recipe suggested at the end of the article)
- Don't forget to have water bowls for hydration and swimming. They should be cleaned regularly to avoid bacteria.
- Offer them huts to nest.
- Think about providing entries of different diameter to accommodate various species.
- Prune hedges outside of nesting periods.
All these elements must be placed at a height to protect the birds from predators (cats, dogs, etc.) Before seeing them invest the premises, you must be patient, because the bird is wary, observes and must get used to changes in its sound. environment. If you take the time to observe them, you will easily recognize them. Gregarious animals, their cohabitation is generally good.
- Feeding birds in winter
How to make fat bread for birds
Make a fat bread for birds:
- Gently melt a bread of Végétaline in a bain-marie.
- Incorporate seeds and unsalted peanuts in the Vegetaline.
- Let the preparation set.
- Arrange the fat buns in strategic places to feed the birds.
To meditate: "A single bird in a cage, freedom in mourning." "
- To read: Recognizing the main birds in the garden to better welcome them
© Vera Kuttelvaserova